1) Reconstructing Past Climates & Holocene Climates
2) Reconstructing past human populations using radiocarbon databases
Modern Pollen-Vegetation Relations
- Towards Improved Paleoclimate Estimates:
The modern pollen vegetation relation by M. Sawada , K. Gajewski
and P. Richard
Describes first attempts to approximate pollen-samples view of surrounding
vegetation using various distance weighting techniques including inverse
distance, inverse-distance squared, dispersal weigthing based on diffussion
from a ground level source, anisotropic source areas based on dominant
wind direciton and unweighted scenarios with results.
Data Logger Programming
- Datalogger Programming
and Practice with the Campbell 21x by M. Sawada
Gives a detailed overview with a fictitous objective for programming
a Campbell datalogger using a UDB01 snow sensor, thermocouples, tipping
bucket raingauge, potentiometer and battery life. Includes equations
and conversion etc.
Technical Solutions Series
- Climate data methods and analysis (M. Ladd): Describes methods for (1) creating a temperature anomaly map in ArcGIS from ERA-40 reanalysis data, (2) creating a wind direction contour map in ArcGIS using WindSpeedTools extension and reanalysis data in NetCDF format, (3) creating a long term mean temperature map in ArcGIS using the North American Regional Reanalysis 2m temperature data, (4) reading GRIB data into the Grid Analysis and Display System (GRADS) and (5) converting GRIB data for use in ArcGIS using TKdegrib software.
- Importing and displaying geological maps from
the Geological Survey of Canada "Geological Map of Canada"
(Map D1860A ver. 1.0, Jan 97 on CD-ROM) using IDRISI GIS for Windows
ver. 2 by D.E. Atkinson
Describes the process of importing into IDRISI GIS the maps found on
the CD-ROM entitled, "Geological Map of Canada", issued by
the Geological Survey of Canada. Tasks discussed include importing the
maps, reprojection, conversion from vector to raster, colourizing, linking
to an attribute database and superposition of a vector coastline map